Welcome to the Mission Athens Blog

Mission Athens is team of Christians working together to share the love of Jesus and to serve the world. We are supported by the Dollar Club, members of Central Church of Christ in Athens, AL, and fellow Christians from several other churches. Our purpose is to serve those in our community who are most in need. Our work includes helping the homeless, serving underprivileged children, supporting the elderly, and loving those who are lost in our community. Please join us in "being the church" in our town.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Spreading The Word

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  John 1:1

When did you get your first Bible?  I remember having a small, white copy of the New Testament that I carried to Sunday school as a small child.  I also remember coloring in it and getting a hard pinch from my Mama during preaching, but that is a story for another blog post about naughty little girls who grow up just fine, thank you very much!

There are two Bibles that I have received that were very special to me.  The first was given to me by a beloved preacher who presented it to me just after my baptism when I was 15.  It was pink, and he had it engraved with my name in silver.  On the inside cover, he wrote me a note, and he included this verse from Psalms, which has always been a favorite ever since, "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word."  Psalms 119:9.  The second Bible was given to my husband and I by my father-in-law just after we were married.  It is the first item we had that was engraved with our names as "Mr. and Mrs."  Both were thoughtful gifts from godly men, and I treasure them to this day.

In 2012, the Mission Athens team would like to give the gift of the gospel to all those we touch.  Whether we help with a past due utility bill, makeover a house, give food or clothes, we would like to also give the gift of Jesus.

We have kicked off our 2012 Mission Athens Bible Drive this week.  We are asking all our friends to donate new or gently used Bibles that are not engraved with names beginning now through the end of February.  We prefer to have the NIV, New American Standard or The Message translations as these are easier to read and understand.  Collection bins have been placed in the front hallway at Central Church of Christ.

Thank you in advance for helping us give The Word as part of our work this year.  We hope these Bibles will become treasured by all who receive them, and that God will work in each and every life we touch through Mission Athens in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment